The Weekly Ringer

The University of Mary Washington Student Newspaper

Police Beat

2 min read


Sep.  24-At 3:10 p.m., a 20-year-old male Mason Hall resident informed police that his blue equestrian jacket, valued at $250, went missing from his room sometime between Sept. 21 and Sept. 22.  There are no suspects or witnesses in the on-going investigation.

Sept. 25- At 3:16 a.m., a UMW housekeeper summoned campus police to Woodard Campus Center after finding a man that she believed to be drunk slumped over the information desk outside of the Eagle’s Nest. The responding officer arrived to find the suspect disheveled but not intoxicated in a nearby men’s room. The officer ordered the suspect, a 22-year-old with no known address, never to return to campus.

Sept.  26- At 1:10 a.m., an anonymous female activated the emergency blue light system to report an assault that that she witnessed on College Ave in front of Chandler Hall.  An officer was able to track down the victim, a 19-year-old Richmond man, in the Trinkle Hall study room.  The victim was not visibly injured, and campus police referred the case to the Fredericksburg Police Department.

Sep. 26- At 7:07 p.m. an 18-year-old Virginia Hall resident reported being followed by a suspicious man wearing a light-colored do-rag earlier in the evening.  The suspect followed her and her friends from Virginia Hall to the Eagle’s Nest and back to their residence hall. Police advised the student to contact them immediately if she saw him again.

Sep.  27- At 12:10 a.m. an officer on bike patrol intercepted a 19-year-old female Marshall Hall resident on the third floor of the parking deck. The officer activated his lights after hearing an engine rev and tires squealing.  The officer determined the black VW’s speed racing up the ramp to be 35 mph. Police referred the case to the JRB.

Sep.  28- At 1:29 a.m., a Jefferson Hall R.A. alerted campus police after one of his first-floor residents sustained a nose injury during a pillow fight that was so severe that he required ambulance transport to Mary Washington Hospital. The responding officer reported that the victim’s nose was visibly disfigured. The student insisted that the pillow fight was friendly in nature, and said that he could not identify his assailant.

Sep. 28- At 12:55 p.m., a facilities services employee notified the police department that one of two eagles on the Battlegrounds athletic sign was missing.  The officer responding found the eagle in the flower bed in front of the sign, broken into six pieces. Police believe that the $350 haddonstone eagle was forcibly removed from the top of the sign, where it had been bolted into the cement, causing $200 damage.