The Weekly Ringer

The University of Mary Washington Student Newspaper

Mini fridge causes fire suspicion at Combs

1 min read

Students and faculty evacuated from Combs Hall after the smell of fire permeated the building. (Kate Seltzer | The Blue & Gray Press)


News Editor

At approximately 5:40 p.m., several fire trucks arrived at Combs Hall in response to a call about an electrical fire odor. According to Fire Chief Chuck Shackleford of the Falmouth Volunteer Fire Department, the cause was a mini fridge.

“A motor on the fridge had malfunctioned and caused the odor throughout the space,” he said.

The fridge was moved outdoors. Occupants of the first floor of Combs were evacuated while fire crews investigated. No evidence of smoke or flame was found.

Students and faculty were permitted to reenter the building at about 6:05 p.m.